Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the staging tree

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:03:35 -0700

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:02:54PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 
> After merging the staging tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) failed like this:
> 
> drivers/staging/xillybus/xillybus_pcie.o:(.data+0x6d8): multiple definition of `xillyname'
> drivers/staging/xillybus/xillybus_core.o:(.data+0x888): first defined here
> 
> Caused by commit 48bae0507410 ("staging: New driver: Xillybus generic
> interface for FPGA").
> 
> I have disabled that driver.

I think I need to just always make any new staging driver only build as
a module, and not allowed to be built into the kernel.  That will save
you time dealing with this, and me the extra time of marking them all as
modules-only every time :)

Sorry about this, I'll go fix this up now...

greg k-h