Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the spi tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:00:11 +0100

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:42:23PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> drivers/spi/spi-pxa2xx-pxadma.c: In function 'wait_dma_channel_stop':
> drivers/spi/spi-pxa2xx-pxadma.c:136:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'DCSR' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>   while (!(DCSR(channel) & DCSR_STOPSTATE) && --limit)

> Frankly, Mark, if you are unable or unwilling to do some basic cross
> build testing, please do not do any more of these patches that add
> CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST.  Leave them to someone who can.

This was cross built.  It didn't show up due to the fact that the
minimal configs I use for build coverage (and in fact every single
config I was building) didn't have PCI turned on (which is a dependency
for this option actually building anything) which allowed this config
symbol to be enabled without showing the problem due to the slightly odd
way the config for the driver is structured; any system with PCI that's
not PXA would be affected.

Most (though not all) of the other issues have been due to similar
stuff.  I do rely on the 0 day tester for the full builds but I do pretty
routinely test (especially on x86) these days though with minimal
configs and on my full working tree.