Subject: linux-next fixes

From: Thierry Reding <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:36:39 +0100

Hi Stephen,

There have been some discussions lately revolving around the topic of
linux-next fixes. That is, commits that people come up with over the
course of a day to fix issues found in the latest linux-next trees.

It's a fact that many people rely on linux-next for everyday work, so
whenever things break in linux-next a lot of people end up chasing the
same bugs and posting the same patches (or not posting them for that
matter).

A lot of developer time is wasted that way, so I originally proposed
that we could set up a separate linux-next-fixes tree where we collect
patches of interest. I volunteer to do that, since, well, I'm doing it
anyway as part of my daily routine. Timezone-wise it also fits pretty
well, since I usually start my day sometime around when you publish
linux-next.

If we can establish a canonical location where such fixes are
accumulated, people could fetch those at the same time they fetch the
linux-next tree and automatically get fixes.

One idea was to carry those fixes within the linux-next tree, within
separate tags (next-YYYYMMDD-fixes). If you don't feel comfortable with
that I suppose we could also set up a separate repository. It that case
I think it would still make sense to run it as part of the "Linux Next
Group" on kernel.org.

What do you think? If it's something you'd be okay with I can contact
the administrators to have me added to the linux-next group.

Thierry