Subject: Re: linux-next fixes

From: Thierry Reding <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:34:30 +0100

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 08:09:57AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 11/01/13 02:36, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Hi Stephen,
> > 
> > There have been some discussions lately revolving around the topic of
> > linux-next fixes. That is, commits that people come up with over the
> > course of a day to fix issues found in the latest linux-next trees.
> > 
> > It's a fact that many people rely on linux-next for everyday work, so
> > whenever things break in linux-next a lot of people end up chasing the
> > same bugs and posting the same patches (or not posting them for that
> > matter).
> > 
> > A lot of developer time is wasted that way, so I originally proposed
> > that we could set up a separate linux-next-fixes tree where we collect
> > patches of interest. I volunteer to do that, since, well, I'm doing it
> > anyway as part of my daily routine. Timezone-wise it also fits pretty
> > well, since I usually start my day sometime around when you publish
> > linux-next.
> > 
> > If we can establish a canonical location where such fixes are
> > accumulated, people could fetch those at the same time they fetch the
> > linux-next tree and automatically get fixes.
> 
> Stephen has had a location for linux-next fixes for quite some time now --
> in the linux-next tree itself.
> 
> Apparently Olof objected to this and you agreed with him.
> and I object to not having the fixes in the linux-next tree.

What I did agree to was a compromise. I do see some sense in not
carrying all the fixes in linux-next so that the actual state of
brokenness is reflected.

But I also think that for everyone using linux-next for daily work it
makes sense to have these patches in a central location in order to
minimize duplicate work.

> Maybe Stephen can work it out.  :)

If nobody wants to have this in linux-next itself, then I still plan on
maintaining a tree for myself so that people that work in the same areas
in a later timezone don't have to duplicate all of that.

Thierry