Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree

From: Jens Axboe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:29:15 -0700

On Thu, Nov 07 2013, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Btw, I have to state that I very much disagree with dropping the
> direct I/O kernel changes, and I also very much disagree with keeping
> the immutable iovecs in.
> 
> For the latter I think the immutable iovecs are useful and do want to
> see them eventually, but they were merged at the latest possible point
> in the merge window and cause breakage all over the tree, so they very
> clearly are not ready at this point, and I fear even more breakage if
> they do get merged.

I agree, I've had this very conversation with Kent as well. The merge of
it has gone a lot worse than I had feared, and the resulting series at
this point is a non-bisectable mess. The fallback plan was to pull it
from the 3.13 tree and shove it into a 3.14 tree with more for-next
simmering.

It is in progress, just takes a while...

-- 
Jens Axboe