Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:21:02 -0400

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 07:14:52AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> It's generally consider bad taste to pull entire trees into each
> other :-) I know Stephen isn't fan of it...

I wouldn't say it's considered "generally" bad taste.  For one-off
changes, maybe.  This was a rather large restructuring of the whole
thing, so actually duplicating all the rather significant commits
would be a lot worse.

> I'd rather have just that series (or even better, just the patches
> introducing the new function) in a topic branch, itself pulled into
> both driver-core-next and my tree.
> 
> Can you produce that ? (I need a non-rebase guarantee though).

It's a series of rather complex patches.  I really don't think
duplicating them is a good idea.  We can either resurrect the old API
to kill it again or set up a merge branch which I don't think is too
unusual in situations like this.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun