Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:16:21 +1100

Hi Greg,

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 05:29:42 +0000 Greg KH <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:57:29PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > 
> > It's messy. Stephen really doesn't like if we pull each other trees like
> > that unless they are topic branches. He also doesn't like when we keep
> > pulling Linus in.
> 
> I only pull Linus in after a -rc in which I have merged patches with him
> for that "topic".  Otherwise I end up with merge issues, and for testing
> reasons, I want those fixes from Linus and from me, in order to keep
> people from hitting the same already-fixes issues.

Maybe you should consider instead just merging the branch you asked
Linus' to merge instead of back merging his whole -rc ... especially when
the merge commit message is usually just something like "We want those
fixes here for testing and development" which doesn't actually tell us
anything very useful.

Your trees always have lots of back merges of Linus' tree in them and I
don't know why Linus has not complained about it before now (or at least
explained to you why we normally don't do that).

> Just take my tree, it's not a big deal,

Except, of course, you are completely discounting any testing that Ben
has done on his tree that could be invalidated and/or complicated by
pulling in so much more of Linus' tree at this point of the cycle.  And
it complicates the git history even more than just your trees already do.

/me is a bit cross after such a nice holiday in HobbitLand and may need
to take deep breath :-(
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]