Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for May 5

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 20:26:28 +1000

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 5 May 2014 12:06:27 +0200 "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Okay, must be my problem then. Sorry for the noise. Somehow, I'm not
> syncing my linux-next correctly then. (Is the proper way of doing this
> documented somewhere?)

Yeah, in the stuff you quoted :-)

"If you
are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
old one.  You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
(see below)."

then later

"There is a wiki covering stuff to do with linux-next at
http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/ .  Thanks to Frank Seidel."

Unfortunately, that site seems to have vanished :-(  Seems like I need to
update my daily release note.

Since linux-next is rebased and remoerged every day, you need to "git
fetch" the tree and then "git reset" to the new tree, not "git pull".
The latter will try to merge the new linux-next into the previous one  -
which should normally make a read mess :-)

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]