Subject: Re: mmotm 2015-01-22-15-04: qemu failure due to 'mm: memcontrol: remove unnecessary soft limit tree node test'

From: Johannes Weiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:37:12 -0500

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 04:36:28PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 02:16:23 -0500, Johannes Weiner said:
> 
> > I would generally agree, but this code, which implements a userspace
> > interface, is already grotesquely inefficient and heavyhanded.  It's
> > also superseded in the next release, so we can just keep this simple
> > at this point.
> 
> Wait, what?  Userspace interface that's superceded in the next release?

The existing interface and its implementation are going to remain in
place, obviously, we can't break userspace.  But the semantics are
ill-defined and the implementation bad to a point where we decided to
fix both by adding a second interface and encouraging users to switch.

Now if a user were to report that these off-node allocations are
actually creating problems in real life I would fix it.  But I'm
fairly certain that remote access costs are overshadowed by the
reclaim stalls this mechanism creates.

So what I was trying to say above is that I don't see a point in
complicating the v1 implementation for a questionable minor
optimization when v2 is already being added to address much more
severe shortcomings in v1.

--
To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-mm' in
the body to [email-masked].  For more info on Linux MM,
see: http://www.linux-mm.org/ .
Don't email: <a href=mailto:"[email-masked]"> [email-masked] </a>