Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the device-mapper tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 13:27:21 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the device-mapper tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:

block/bio.c:310:20: error: redefinition of 'bio_inc_remaining'
 static inline void bio_inc_remaining(struct bio *bio)
                    ^
In file included from block/bio.c:20:0:
include/linux/bio.h:664:20: note: previous definition of 'bio_inc_remaining' was here
 static inline void bio_inc_remaining(struct bio *bio)
                    ^

Caused by commit d61b82161c5a ("block: remove management of
bi_remaining when restoring original bi_end_io").

OK, this is a bad automatic merge caused by the fact that the block
tree and the device-mapper tree both contain the same set fo patches as
different commits.

Commit c4cf5261f8bf from the block tree is the same as commit
8395711c4f90 from the device-mapper tree and both add
bio_inc_remaining() to include/linux/bio.h.  The above commit in the
device-mapper tree removes it from there, but the merge decided to keep
it.

That shared patch above is part of a series of 14 patches that are
identical patches but different commits and are causing quite a few
conflicts.  It looks like those patches were rebased onto v4.10rc3 as
the base for the device-mapper tree.  A better idea would have been to
start with v4.1rc3 (if that is necessary) and merge commit 5b3f341f098d
("blk-mq: make plug work for mutiple disks and queues") from the block
tree - assuming that Jens will guarantee not to rebase that part of his
tree.

Please clean this mess up.

I have used the version of the device-mapper tree from next-20150521
for today.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]