Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the drivers-x86 tree with Linus' tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 14:04:40 +1000

Hi Darren,

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 20:27:50 -0700 Darren Hart <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the heads' up. This happens because my -next branch is based on *-rc1
> as I think was recommended at the last kernel summit. Since rc1 I sent Linus the
> G50-30, but by rc6 I didn't feel good about sending the similar G50-30 fix, so
> that is in my rc1 branch.
> 
> I am happy to rebase my -next on rc6 to avoid the conflict, but I believe the
> rebase is considered poor practice.

This is a fairly trivial conflict and Linus will have no trouble fixing
it up as well when he merges your tree in the next window

> You said no action required, but if there is something I can do to avoid this
> kind of manual effort on your part (and a manual merge by Linus in the upcoming
> merge window), I'm happy to update my process to accommodate.

This is fine.  git rerere remembers these conflict resolutions for me,
so I only have to fix them once (usually).

For a more complex conflict, you might consider merging the branch that
you had Linus merge (or a later -rc) with, of course, a nice
explanation in the merge commit message, but in this case that would be
overkill.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    [email-masked]