Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm-current tree with the tip tree

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:21:15 -0700

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:03:23 -0700 Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > I have been applying that patch I sent to you to -next for some time.
> > I guess I expected Andrew to pick it up when he rebased his patch
> > series before submitting it to you.  These things sometimes slip
> > through the cracks.
> 
> I suspect Andrew saw that patch, and thought it was a merge fixup like
> you sometimes send out, and didn't realize that it actually applied
> directly to his series.

I've had it all the time, as a post-linux-next fixup - the idea being
that I send it to you after its linux-next preconditions have been
merged up.

However I failed to put that patch inside the stephen-take-these-bits
markers, so it never went from -mm into -next.

New syscalls are rather a pain, both from the patch-monkeying POV and
also because nobody knows what the syscall numbers will be until
everything lands in mainline.  Oh well, it doesn't happen often and
it's easy stuff.