Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the tip tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:29:10 +1100

Hi all,

After merging the tip tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

  DESCEND  objtool
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/builtin-check.o
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/special.o
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/elf.o
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/objtool.o
  MKDIR    /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/arch/x86/insn/
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/libstring.o
elf.c:22:23: fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/exec-cmd.o
  CC       /home/sfr/next/x86_64_allmodconfig/tools/objtool/help.o
builtin-check.c:28:20: fatal error: string.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
objtool.c:28:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

and further errors ...

This build is done with a PowerPC hosted cross compiler with no glibc.
I assume that some things here need to be built with HOSTCC?

Presumably caused by commit

  9e54249679b4 ("Merge branch 'core/objtool'")

and the commit series that was merged.

I tried to revert that merge, but it had conflicts, so I just used the
tip tree from next-20160229 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell