Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the tip tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:40:01 +1100

Hi Ingo,

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 08:07:50 +0100 Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > This build is done with a PowerPC hosted cross compiler with no glibc.  
> 
> Ugh, what a rare and weird way to build an x86 kernel, and you made linux-next 
> dependent on it?

It is just the fastest hardware I currently have access to (you remember
who I work for, right? ;-)).  I have always done at least part of the
linux-next building (daily, or overnight) on PowerPC hardware and this
is only the 2nd or third time in over 8 years that it has found an
issue like this.

> > I assume that some things here need to be built with HOSTCC?  
> 
> I suspect that's the culprit.

Good, hopefully it is not too hard to fix.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell