Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm-current tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 14:58:10 +1000

Hi Andrew,

After merging the akpm-current tree, today's linux-next build (and a
few earlier ones) (powerpc allnoconfig (and many others)) failed like
this:

lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: initializer element is not constant
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: (near initialization for 'decpair[0]')
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: initializer element is not constant
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: (near initialization for 'decpair[1]')
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: initializer element is not constant
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: (near initialization for 'decpair[2]')
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: initializer element is not constant
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: (near initialization for 'decpair[3]')
lib/vsprintf.c:160:2: error: initializer element is not constant

and more ... basically any big endian build of code using __swabxx
or cpu_to_lexx in initailisers (in the above case cpu_to_le16()).

Caused (presumably) by commit

  eeee46ed3cda ("byteswap: try to avoid __builtin_constant_p gcc bug")

This is a buyild using gcc 4.6.3.

I have revreted that commit for today to see if it fixes the overnight
builds.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell