Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the f2fs tree with the ext4 tree

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 17:30:28 -0400

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 10:15:03AM -0700, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
> 
> Thank you for the notice.
> I've been waiting for a comment about the below patch targeted to v4.7 from Ted.
> Meanwhile, I intended to prepare -next for that patch in advance.
> Surely, once I get a sense that I need to consider v4.8, I'll drop this patch
> for -next right away.

Yeah, I think it would be better for me to take the ext4 "migrate into
vfs's crypto engine" patch, and at this point, for 4.8.

Sorry, I just ran out of time to try to verify that the patch wouldn't
break anything, and given that we're going to need to wait for
"fscrypto/f2fs: allow fs-specific key prefix for fs encryption" to go
upstream.

Do you have any other planned changes for the fscrypto tree planned
for 4.8.  If not, then perhaps it will be easier if I take the pen for
any changes needed for fs/crypto, and moving forward, we probably need
to find ways to make changes where commits specific for fs/crypto
should be isolated from ext4 or f2fs changes, and as much as possible
to be backwards compatible so that as we add new features to
fs/crypto, we don't need to synchronize changes across multiple file
systems.

Cheers,

						- Ted