Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/4] gpio: Allow PC/104 devices on X86_64

From: William Breathitt Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 23:39:04 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 08:18:10PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:49:59PM -0400, William Breathitt Gray wrote:
>> The PC/104 drivers were changed to utilize the ISA bus driver as part of
>> the original patchset which attempted to decouple the X86_32 dependency
>> from the ISA Kconfig option; these drivers were updated with the
>> intention of building on X86_64 in addition to X86_32.
>> 
>> However, the respective patches were merged without the decoupling
>> changes (since decoupling was the wrong approach), resulting in an
>> unintentional regression: the PC/104 drivers are now restricted to
>> X86_32 due to the ISA Kconfig option dependency, while they were capable
>> of building for X86_64 in previous kernel versions.
>> 
>> This patchset should fix this regression by introducing the ISA_BUS_API
>> Kconfig option, and the respective Kconfig dependency changes for the
>> drivers, in order to allow them to build for both X86_64 and X86_32 as
>> originally capable.
>
>Ah, ok, that makes more sense, thanks.  I'll go queue these up now.
>
>greg k-h

Greg K-H,

Please also consider picking up the following two patches which fix bugs
discovered during the ISA bus driver utilization conversion:

  1. https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9046831/
  2. https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9074641/

The second patch in particular fixes a kernel BUG which prevents some
drivers that call isa_register_driver from being built-in. This was
first reported by Sasha Levin (https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/11/719), and
the patch was later tested by Ye Xiaolong
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/31/164).

Thanks,

William Breathitt Gray