Subject: Re: [PATCH resend 3/5] libata-scsi: fix overflow in mode page copy

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:17:14 -0400

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 02:41:52AM +0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> From: Tom Yan <[email-masked]>
> 
> ata_mselect_*() would initialize a char array for storing a copy of
> the current mode page. However, if char was actually signed char,
> overflow could occur.

Do you mean sign extension?

> For example, `0xff` from def_control_mpage[] would be "truncated"
> to `-1`. This prevented ata_mselect_control() from working at all,
> since when it did the read-only bits check, there would always be
> a mismatch.

Heh, the description doesn't really make sense.  Are you talking about
something like the following?

	char ar[N];
	int i;

	i = ar[x];
	if (i == 0xff)
		asdf;

If so, the description isn't quite right.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun