Subject: Re: powerpc allyesconfig / allmodconfig linux-next next-20160729 - next-20160729 build failures

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:19:11 +1000

Hi Arnd,

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 09:52:23 +0200 Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Using a different way to link the kernel would also help us with
> the remaining allyesconfig problem on ARM, as the problem is only in
> 'ld -r' not producing trampolines for symbols that later cannot get
> them any more. It would probably also help building with ld.gold,
> which is currently not working.
> 
> What is your suggested alternative?

I have a patch that make the built-in.o files into thin archives (same
as archives, but the actual objects are replaced with the name of the
original object file).  That way the final link has all the original
objects.  I haven't checked to see what the overheads of doing it this
way is.

Nick Piggin has just today taken my old patch (it was last rebased to
v4.4-rc1) and tried it on a recent kernel and it still seems to mostly
work.  It probably needs some tidying up, but you are welcome to test
it if you want to.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell
_______________________________________________
Linuxppc-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ozlabs.org/listinfo/linuxppc-dev