Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the edac-amd tree with the edac tree

From: Borislav Petkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:15:01 +0100

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 11:02:04AM -0500, Yazen Ghannam wrote:
> A deferred error is an uncorrectable error whose handling can be
> deferred, i.e. it's not urgent. This affects the system behavior, but
> I'm now thinking that this shouldn't affect users' behavior. I think it
> would be simpler to just classify deferred errors as uncorrectable
> errors so that users treat them as such.

Why would we want to lie about deferred errors being uncorrectable?

And I believe deferred errors can be handled differently like freeze the
process using the page instead of killing it. And so on...

Why aren't you simply adding the documentation about
HW_EVENT_ERR_DEFERRED and be done with it? The downstream path like
tracepoint and all can handle all that just fine.

> Boris,
> Can we drop or revert commit d12a969ebbfc?

No can do. It is a public branch and there's no touching it.

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.