Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rcu tree

From: "Paul E. McKenney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 07:23:32 -0700

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 03:36:47PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> 
> [Also reported by Michael elsewhere]
> 
> After merging the rcu tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> pseries_le_defconfig) failed like this:
> 
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:587: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009ff8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:617: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009d88 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:619: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009dc0 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:643: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009df8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:650: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009d8c is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1353: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009ff8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1663: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009db0 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1665: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009dc8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1734: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009db8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1782: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009ff8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1837: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009de0 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1877: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009ff8 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007fff)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1918: Error: operand out of range (0x0000000000009de0 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S:1943: Error: operand out of range (0x000000000000a048 is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 0x0000000000007ffc)
> 
> Caused by commit
> 
>   b2bb79507ba1 ("srcu: Parallelize callback handling")
> 
> I have left it broken for today.

Well, I guess I made good on my promise to break this in a more subtle
and creative way...  :-/

Please let me know what you need me to do.  I suppose that I could
push part of the srcu_struct into another structure and dynamically
allocate it, but that sounds a bit ugly...

							Thanx, Paul