Subject: Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drivers-x86 tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:28:10 +1000

Hi Darren,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 16:57:40 -0700 Darren Hart <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Is this a new check Stephen?

Yes :-)

> Is there any statement regarding maintainer teams that we must abide by
> this?  e.g. any time a rebase in a testing branch is made, the
> maintainer must also ensure a SOB is on each patch?

I would say that if you rebase someone's commit(s), then you are on the
"patch's delivery path" and so should add a Signed-off-by tag. (cc'ing
Linus to see if he has an opinion.  Linus, the case here is a patch
originally committed by one maintainer and then rebased by the other.)

> I just want to get a clear picture of what the failure was so we can
> update our tooling so this doesn't repeat itself.

"git rebase" does have a "--signoff" option.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell