Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm-current tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:49:46 +1000

Hi Andrew,

After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
allyesconfig) failed like this:

In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:10:0,
                 from include/linux/list.h:9,
                 from include/linux/preempt.h:11,
                 from include/linux/spinlock.h:51,
                 from include/linux/seqlock.h:36,
                 from include/linux/time.h:6,
                 from fs/proc/inode.c:9:
fs/proc/inode.c: In function 'proc_init_kmemcache':
include/linux/compiler.h:339:38: error: call to '__compiletime_assert_110' declared with attribute error: BUILD_BUG_ON failed: sizeof(struct proc_dir_entry) >= SIZEOF_PDE
  _compiletime_assert(condition, msg, __compiletime_assert_, __LINE__)
                                      ^
include/linux/compiler.h:319:4: note: in definition of macro '__compiletime_assert'
    prefix ## suffix();    \
    ^~~~~~
include/linux/compiler.h:339:2: note: in expansion of macro '_compiletime_assert'
  _compiletime_assert(condition, msg, __compiletime_assert_, __LINE__)
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/build_bug.h:45:37: note: in expansion of macro 'compiletime_assert'
 #define BUILD_BUG_ON_MSG(cond, msg) compiletime_assert(!(cond), msg)
                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/build_bug.h:69:2: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_BUG_ON_MSG'
  BUILD_BUG_ON_MSG(condition, "BUILD_BUG_ON failed: " #condition)
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fs/proc/inode.c:110:2: note: in expansion of macro 'BUILD_BUG_ON'
  BUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(struct proc_dir_entry) >= SIZEOF_PDE);
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~

Caused by commit

  527ae8759f10 ("proc: fixup PDE allocation bloat")

I have reverted that commit for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell