Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the tip tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:24:20 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the tip tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 defconfig)
failed like this:

Invalid absolute R_X86_64_32S relocation: __end_rodata_aligned
/kisskb/src/arch/x86/boot/compressed/Makefile:127: recipe for target 'arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.relocs' failed

Caused by commit

  39d668e04eda ("x86/mm/pti: Make pti_clone_kernel_text() compile on 32 bit")

This was a build using gcc 4.6.3.  the i386 defconfig also failed
like this:

Invalid absolute R_386_32 relocation: __end_rodata_aligned

They started failing on next-20180723 (which is the first -next that
contained the above commit).  Sorry that we did not notice this earlier.
At least the i386 defconfig build works with gcc 7.3.1.

You can see the full build results here:
http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/head/6b522b734da2950c368aae668f963b8925fb5545/

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell