Subject: Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the xfs tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 10:06:40 +1100

Hi Dave,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 09:08:02 +1100 Dave Chinner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Might be worth adding this to the boiler plate code:
> 
> 	This can be fixed by adding the following to your ~/.gitconfig file:
> 
> 	[core]
> 		abbrev = 12

Actually, since git v2.11 (released Nov 29, 2016), abbrev = auto (which
is the default) means that the default scales with the size of the
repository.  For Linus' tree, that currently produces 12 digit commit
SHA1 abbreviations, but will probably soon become 13.  So the best
currently, is to *not* set core.abbrev (or set it to something above 12
(for future robustness).

See
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell