Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the xarray tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 23:47:16 +1100

Hi Jason,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 22:09:36 +0000 Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I personally think it is not good to put major logic changes in merge
> commits, so I would prefer the #2 approach for this case.

These are not difficult merge fixes or logic changes.

> Also, the general philosophy that the person doing the tree-wide
> change should do the work :)

In fact, I have done the work :-)  All you guys have to do is inform
Linus and give him my resolutions.  The change to xa_alloc_cyclic could
just be a followup patch once the air clears.

> SFR's tree is just a reference. Who ever takes care to resolve these
> conflicts has to manually do the fixing up. If you do send your tree
> early I will fix it up as part of prepping the RDMA tree PR. Otherwise
> you will have to fix it.

Neither of you need to fix it ...

> What I don't want to see is we send both trees at the same time and
> neither gives merge guidance to Linus.

Well, I have now reminded you both, so hopefully you will both tell
Linus.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell