Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 13:37:15 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the pm tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

In file included from drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:11:
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c: In function 'intel_pstate_update_max_freq':
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:819:22: note: in definition of macro '__typecheck'
   (!!(sizeof((typeof(x) *)1 == (typeof(y) *)1)))
                      ^
include/linux/kernel.h:843:24: note: in expansion of macro '__safe_cmp'
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:827:48: note: in definition of macro '__is_constexpr'
  (sizeof(int) == sizeof(*(8 ? ((void *)((long)(x) * 0l)) : (int *)8)))
                                                ^
include/linux/kernel.h:833:25: note: in expansion of macro '__no_side_effects'
   (__typecheck(x, y) && __no_side_effects(x, y))
                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:843:24: note: in expansion of macro '__safe_cmp'
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:835:27: note: in definition of macro '__cmp'
 #define __cmp(x, y, op) ((x) op (y) ? (x) : (y))
                           ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:835:40: note: in definition of macro '__cmp'
 #define __cmp(x, y, op) ((x) op (y) ? (x) : (y))
                                        ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:838:10: note: in definition of macro '__cmp_once'
   typeof(x) unique_x = (x);  \
          ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:838:25: note: in definition of macro '__cmp_once'
   typeof(x) unique_x = (x);  \
                         ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
include/linux/kernel.h:843:2: error: first argument to '__builtin_choose_expr' not a constant
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:912:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.max = min(policy->user_policy.max, policy->cpuinfo.max_freq);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:819:22: note: in definition of macro '__typecheck'
   (!!(sizeof((typeof(x) *)1 == (typeof(y) *)1)))
                      ^
include/linux/kernel.h:843:24: note: in expansion of macro '__safe_cmp'
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:827:48: note: in definition of macro '__is_constexpr'
  (sizeof(int) == sizeof(*(8 ? ((void *)((long)(x) * 0l)) : (int *)8)))
                                                ^
include/linux/kernel.h:833:25: note: in expansion of macro '__no_side_effects'
   (__typecheck(x, y) && __no_side_effects(x, y))
                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:843:24: note: in expansion of macro '__safe_cmp'
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:835:27: note: in definition of macro '__cmp'
 #define __cmp(x, y, op) ((x) op (y) ? (x) : (y))
                           ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:835:40: note: in definition of macro '__cmp'
 #define __cmp(x, y, op) ((x) op (y) ? (x) : (y))
                                        ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:838:10: note: in definition of macro '__cmp_once'
   typeof(x) unique_x = (x);  \
          ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:31: error: 'struct cpufreq_policy' has no member named 'user_policy'; did you mean 'last_policy'?
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:838:25: note: in definition of macro '__cmp_once'
   typeof(x) unique_x = (x);  \
                         ^
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~
include/linux/kernel.h:843:2: error: first argument to '__builtin_choose_expr' not a constant
  __builtin_choose_expr(__safe_cmp(x, y), \
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
include/linux/kernel.h:852:19: note: in expansion of macro '__careful_cmp'
 #define min(x, y) __careful_cmp(x, y, <)
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.c:913:19: note: in expansion of macro 'min'
  new_policy.min = min(policy->user_policy.min, new_policy.max);
                   ^~~

Caused by commit

  218208538ffe ("cpufreq: Add QoS requests for userspace constraints")

from the pm tree interacting with commit

  9083e4986124 ("cpufreq: intel_pstate: Update max frequency on global turbo changes")

from Linus' tree.

I have used the pm tree from next-20190628 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell