Subject: Re: next/master boot: 265 boots: 17 failed, 184 passed with 64 offline (next-20190730)

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 14:28:32 +0100

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:17:56AM -0700, kernelci.org bot wrote:

> next/master boot: 265 boots: 17 failed, 184 passed with 64 offline (next-20190730)
> Full Boot Summary: https://kernelci.org/boot/all/job/next/branch/master/kernel/next-20190730/
> Full Build Summary: https://kernelci.org/build/next/branch/master/kernel/next-20190730/

For a while now all arm64 big endian clang built kernels have been
failing, the kernel mounts the root filesystem but is unable to execute
init due to an inability to understand the executable format:

08:55:25.999629  <6>[  226.077194] Run /init as init process
08:55:31.066490  <4>[  226.086518] request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50), for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
08:55:31.085167  <4>[  231.135458] request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
08:55:35.745340  ShellCommand command timed out.: Sending # in case of corruption. Connection timeout 00:01:54, retry in 00:00:11
08:55:35.846536  #
08:55:35.849523  #
08:55:36.185339  <4>[  231.154208] request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50), for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
08:55:36.208673  <4>[  236.255449] request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
08:55:36.209013  <3>[  236.269366] Failed to execute /init (error -8)
08:55:36.210161  <6>[  236.285459] Run /sbin/init as init process
08:55:41.306737  <4>[  236.294490] request_module: kmod_concurrent_max (0) close to 0 (max_modprobes: 50), for module binfmt-464c, throttling...
08:55:41.331547  <4>[  241.375455] request_module: modprobe binfmt-464c cannot be processed, kmod busy with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now
08:55:41.331837  <3>[  241.389316] Starting init: /sbin/init exists but couldn't execute it (error -8)

(binfmt-464c is binfmt-misc, the fallback for unknown executable
formats).  The same kernel version built with GCC boots fine.

You can see a bunch of reports here (all the big endian failures):

	https://kernelci.org/boot/all/job/next/branch/master/kernel/next-20190730/

It's possible that there's some infrastructure error that's causing the
wrong ramdisk to be sent to the boards only for clang but I'd be a bit
surprised.