Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the drm tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 13:54:22 +1100

Hi all,

After merging the drm tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:

arch/powerpc/platforms/embedded6xx/Kconfig:2:error: recursive dependency detected!
arch/powerpc/platforms/embedded6xx/Kconfig:2:   symbol EMBEDDED6xx depends on BROKEN_ON_SMP
init/Kconfig:79:        symbol BROKEN_ON_SMP depends on BROKEN
init/Kconfig:76:        symbol BROKEN is selected by DRM_I915_DEBUG
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/Kconfig.debug:20:  symbol DRM_I915_DEBUG depends on DRM_I915
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/Kconfig:2: symbol DRM_I915 depends on DRM
drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:8:      symbol DRM depends on AGP
drivers/char/agp/Kconfig:2:     symbol AGP depends on PCI
drivers/pci/Kconfig:16: symbol PCI depends on HAVE_PCI
drivers/pci/Kconfig:7:  symbol HAVE_PCI is selected by FORCE_PCI
drivers/pci/Kconfig:11: symbol FORCE_PCI is selected by MVME5100
arch/powerpc/platforms/embedded6xx/Kconfig:51:  symbol MVME5100 depends on EMBEDDED6xx
For a resolution refer to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.rst
subsection "Kconfig recursive dependency limitations"

Caused by commit

  d9d54a530a70 ("drm/i915: Put future HW and their uAPIs under STAGING & BROKEN")

You really should not select BROKEN.  It is assumed to always be false
so we can make actually broken code depend on it (and therefore not
be built).

I have used the drm tree from next-20191031 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell