Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the sound-asoc tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:21:14 +0100

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:04:00PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:30:41 +0100 Mark Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > It looks like this is triggered by PowerPC not including
> > drivers/firmware - there are missing dependencies but it works for other
> > all*configs since the dependencies all get built in those.  It would be
> > helpful if PowerPC were fixed to include the firmware directory to
> > improve coverage.

> $ git grep drivers/firmware 'arch/*/*Kconfig*'
> arch/arm/Kconfig:source "drivers/firmware/Kconfig"
> arch/arm64/Kconfig:source "drivers/firmware/Kconfig"
> arch/ia64/Kconfig:source "drivers/firmware/Kconfig"
> arch/mips/Kconfig:source "drivers/firmware/Kconfig"
> arch/x86/Kconfig:source "drivers/firmware/Kconfig"

> so, sure, it works for some architectures.  We would need someone to do
> the work to make sure that adding drivers/firmware to all the others
> does not break other stuff.  Until then, please add the needed
> dependencies.

I am doing that but that still doesn't mean that the architectures
shouldn't be updated - to me this is like the architectures that don't
implement standard APIs, we should fix the issues they bring up but it'd
be a lot less noisy to sidestep the issue.