Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the sound-asoc tree with the crypto tree

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 18:08:01 +0100

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 09:36:32AM -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 05:22:05PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > from the crypto tree and commit:

> > >   a1304cba816e ("ASoC: cros_ec_codec: allocate shash_desc dynamically")

> > > from the sound-asoc tree.

> I Cc'ed it to the people listed in MAINTAINERS for "CHROMEOS EC CODEC DRIVER".
> I guess wasn't enough and I should have added [email-masked] too?

Yeah, you generally need to make sure the subsystem maintainers are
included as well as individual driver maintainers.

> > That doesn't seem ideal - Eric, Herbert can we get a branch with the
> > crypto patches in them to pull into the ASoC tree or something?

> We should just drop one of the patches.

> If you just want to eliminate the compiler warning about stack usage in
> wov_hotword_model_put(), then my patch in cryptodev would be better, as it moves
> the stack allocation into another function in another file.

> Alternatively, if you actually need to reduce the total stack usage (across all
> functions), then the kmalloc() patch in sound-asoc would be better.

Well, reducing the stack usage overall seems nicer overall - heads off
future problems if the struct grows or something, and if we still end up
allocating just as much on the stack then we'll have trouble at runtime
anyway - does that make sense?