Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the hwmon-staging tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 10:28:58 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the hwmon-staging tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmodconfig) failed like this:

drivers/hwmon/pmbus/adm1266.c: In function 'adm1266_probe':
drivers/hwmon/pmbus/adm1266.c:478:31: error: passing argument 2 of 'pmbus_do_probe' from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  478 |  ret = pmbus_do_probe(client, id, &data->info);
      |                               ^~
      |                               |
      |                               const struct i2c_device_id *
In file included from drivers/hwmon/pmbus/adm1266.c:20:
drivers/hwmon/pmbus/pmbus.h:492:73: note: expected 'struct pmbus_driver_info *' but argument is of type 'const struct i2c_device_id *'
  492 | int pmbus_do_probe(struct i2c_client *client, struct pmbus_driver_info *info);
      |                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~
drivers/hwmon/pmbus/adm1266.c:478:8: error: too many arguments to function 'pmbus_do_probe'
  478 |  ret = pmbus_do_probe(client, id, &data->info);
      |        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from drivers/hwmon/pmbus/adm1266.c:20:
drivers/hwmon/pmbus/pmbus.h:492:5: note: declared here
  492 | int pmbus_do_probe(struct i2c_client *client, struct pmbus_driver_info *info);
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

Caused by commit

  9832ecffd8f8 ("hwmon: (pmbus) Add support for ADM1266")

interacting with commit

  d46dc459db38 ("hwmon (pmbus) use simple i2c probe function")

I have used the hwmon-staging tree from next-20200821 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell