Subject: Re: linux-next: Fixes tags need some work in the printk tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 06:55:47 +1000

Hi Petr,

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 09:26:11 +0200 Petr Mladek <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The problem is that this commit is not in mainline. It is living
> only in printk/linux.git.
> 
> Could we use the SHA1 from the maintainer tree when it would not get rebased?
> 
> Or should we rather avoid Fixes: tag referencing commits that are not
> in mainline?
> 
> I am sorry to bother you with this silly question. I do not see any
> hint in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst.

Well, in theory, maintainers trees should not be rebased after they
have been published (except in exceptional circumstances), so using
SHA1s from them should be OK.  Especially if the fixing commit is in
the same maintainers tree (which it should be, right).  It does mean
that maintainers need to be a bit more careful if they do rebase their
trees to update any Fixes tags (or other commit references) that are
affected by the rebase.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell