Subject: linux-next: build warning after merge of the tip tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:22:49 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the tip tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
produced this warning:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_selftest_dynamic.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe_selftest.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_clock.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ftrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ring_buffer.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_output.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_seq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_printk.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/tracing_map.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_switch.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_preemptirq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_irqsoff.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_wakeup.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_hwlat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_nop.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stack.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_mmiotrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions_graph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/blktrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/fgraph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_export.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_syscalls.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_event_perf.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_filter.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_trigger.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_inject.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_synth.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_hist.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/bpf_trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/power-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/rpm-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kdb.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_dynevent.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_probe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_uprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_boot.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_benchmark.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_selftest_dynamic.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe_selftest.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_clock.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ftrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ring_buffer.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_output.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_seq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_printk.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/tracing_map.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_switch.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_preemptirq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_irqsoff.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_wakeup.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_hwlat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_nop.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stack.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_mmiotrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions_graph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/blktrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/fgraph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_export.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_syscalls.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_event_perf.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_filter.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_trigger.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_inject.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_synth.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_hist.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/bpf_trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/power-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/rpm-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kdb.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_dynevent.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_probe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_uprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_boot.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_benchmark.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_selftest_dynamic.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe_selftest.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_clock.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ftrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/ring_buffer.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_output.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_seq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_printk.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/tracing_map.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_switch.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_preemptirq.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_irqsoff.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_sched_wakeup.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_hwlat.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_nop.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_stack.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_mmiotrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_functions_graph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/blktrace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/fgraph.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_export.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_syscalls.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_event_perf.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_filter.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_trigger.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_inject.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_synth.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_events_hist.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/bpf_trace.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/power-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/rpm-traces.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_kdb.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_dynevent.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_probe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_uprobe.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_boot.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: orphan section `.ctors.65435' from `kernel/trace/trace_benchmark.o' being placed in section `.ctors.65435'

Probably exposed by commit

  83109d5d5fba ("x86/build: Warn on orphan section placement")

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell