Subject: Re: [PATCH] selftests/vm: fix: make check_config.sh executable

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 17:59:31 +1000

Hi John,

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 23:48:11 -0700 John Hubbard <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> commit 30fb9454ab23 ("selftests/vm: hmm-tests: remove the libhugetlbfs
> dependency") created the new check_config.sh file without the execute
> bits set. This is a problem because the Makefile runs it with "./", so
> now "make" is failing in that directory.
> 
> The posted patch [1] does seem to have it as an executable file, so I'm
> not sure how this happened. But in any case, make check_config.sh
> executable again, so that "make" in selftests/vm works once again.

The correct fix is to make sure that the Makefile runs it explicitly
with a shell because is such a patch is applied with patch(1), the
execute bit will not be preserved.

See e.g. in the top level Makefile:

	$(CONFIG_SHELL) $(srctree)/scripts/gen_autoksyms.sh $@

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell