Subject: [PATCH v3 1/2] selftests/vm: fix an improper dependency upon executable script permissions

From: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 17:21:41 -0700

commit 30fb9454ab23 ("selftests/vm: hmm-tests: remove the libhugetlbfs
dependency") created the new check_config.sh file without the execute
bit set. This is a problem because that same commit caused the Makefile
to invoke it "./check_config.sh", so now "make" is failing in that
directory.

Scripts are not supposed to depend on the executable bit being set,
because patch(1) doesn't set it, and using patch to install a kernel is
supported. Therefore, this fix involves two parts:

1) Invoke the new script via /bin/sh, to fix the problem, and

2) As an nice touch, make check_config.sh executable as well.

Fixes: commit 30fb9454ab23 ("selftests/vm: hmm-tests: remove the libhugetlbfs dependency")
Signed-off-by: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>
---
 tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile        | 2 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/vm/check_config.sh | 0
 2 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
 mode change 100644 => 100755 tools/testing/selftests/vm/check_config.sh

diff --git a/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile b/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile
index 019cbb7f3cf8..a9332a7cf33f 100644
--- a/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile
+++ b/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile
@@ -138,7 +138,7 @@ $(OUTPUT)/hmm-tests: local_config.h
 $(OUTPUT)/hmm-tests: LDLIBS += $(HMM_EXTRA_LIBS)
 
 local_config.mk local_config.h: check_config.sh
-	./check_config.sh $(CC)
+	/bin/sh ./check_config.sh $(CC)
 
 EXTRA_CLEAN += local_config.mk local_config.h
 
diff --git a/tools/testing/selftests/vm/check_config.sh b/tools/testing/selftests/vm/check_config.sh
old mode 100644
new mode 100755
-- 
2.28.0