Subject: Re: [tip: locking/core] lockdep: Fix lockdep recursion

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:53:19 +0200

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:34:05AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> commit 7deaa04b02298001426730ed0e6214ac20d1a1c1
> Author: Paul E. McKenney <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Tue Oct 13 12:39:23 2020 -0700
> 
>     rcu: Prevent lockdep-RCU splats on lock acquisition/release
>     
>     The rcu_cpu_starting() and rcu_report_dead() functions transition the
>     current CPU between online and offline state from an RCU perspective.
>     Unfortunately, this means that the rcu_cpu_starting() function's lock
>     acquisition and the rcu_report_dead() function's lock releases happen
>     while the CPU is offline from an RCU perspective, which can result in
>     lockdep-RCU splats about using RCU from an offline CPU.  In reality,
>     aside from the splats, both transitions are safe because a new grace
>     period cannot start until these functions release their locks.

But we call the trace_* crud before we acquire the lock. Are you sure
that's a false-positive?