Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the vfio tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:59:03 +1100

Hi Alex,

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:20:16 -0600 Alex Williamson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Stephen.  Diana has posted a 32bit build fix which I've merged,
> maybe that was the error.  Also Diana's series in my branch is currently
> dependent on fsl-bus support in GregKH's char-misc-next branch.  Looking
> at the log from the successful build, I wonder if our branches are just
> in the wrong order (vfio/next processed on line 341, char-misc-next
> processed on 387).  I don't know if you regularly re-order for this
> sort of thing, otherwise it should work out when Greg's branch gets
> merged, but testing sooner in next would be preferred.

I have put the vfio tree after the char-misc tree today (so hopefully
it will build).  The proper way to do this is for you and Greg to have
a shared branch with the commits you both depend on and bot merge that
branch.  That way, it doesn't matter what order the tress are merged
(by me or Linus).

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell