Subject: Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the kbuild tree

From: Dominique Martinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 07:47:11 +0100

Stephen Rothwell wrote on Thu, Dec 10, 2020:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 14:01:30 +0100 Dominique Martinet <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > I guess it's possible to make kbuild check both sbin and PATH, would
> > that be acceptable?
> 
> I guess so.  But, have you actually found any setup where depmod is not
> /sbin/depmod?  i.e. what problem are you trying to solve.  As far as I
> can see all this change does is (ever so slightly) slow down the build
> for no gain.

On nixos, depmod is in /run/current-system/sw/bin/depmod (as a link to
/nix/store/r3r39rzsrikdsv68rvswn3hhank706gj-kmod-27/bin/depmod or
wherever the current version wants to be).
developers on guix probably face the same problem.

There is no sbin, the only things in /bin is sh, and in /usr/bin env as
I think is mandated by posix.

For their official builds they just modify the build scripts in place
before starting the build, but for dev as I keep rebasing it's annoying
to keep a couple of local patches just for this.
I could obviously manually create a link from /sbin/depmod to the
current system's but that doesn't solve the problem for all other nixos
users.

I'll send an updated patch later today..
-- 
Dominique