Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the rust tree with Linus' tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 07:31:49 +1100

Hi Miguel,

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 13:19:22 +0100 Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 10:01 PM Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Oops, sorry about that.  I have added it back from today.  
> 
> No worries! By the way, I will be rebasing soon to fix a build error
> that happened due to some changes in mainline, so the conflict will
> disappear.

I would suggest that you don't rebase if you are intending to submit to
Linus.  Instead, do a test merge with his tree and fix the issue in the
merge and test that, then explain it all the in the pull request (but
ask him to pull your tree without the merge).

> > BTW, are you intending to submit the rust tree this merge window?  
> 
> That was the idea, but a few things need to be taken care of before.
> In any case, I was told to start submitting it every couple weeks or
> so, so I think Linus et. al. do not mind if it aligns to a merge
> window or not (though I might be wrong...).

Much better to do it in the merge window.  Linus almost never takes new
features outside a merge window (but you could always ask him).

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell