Subject: linux-next: much more building going on

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:13:19 +1100

Hi all,

Since yesterday, my builds are taking much longer and it seems just
about everything is being rebuilt when there should be very little done.

One example is after mergeing the clockevents tree, the diffstat looks
like this:

$ git diff --stat HEAD^..
 .../devicetree/bindings/timer/cdns,ttc.yaml        |   3 +
 .../bindings/timer/mstar,msc313e-timer.yaml        |  46 ++++
 .../devicetree/bindings/timer/nxp,tpm-timer.yaml   |   6 +-
 .../devicetree/bindings/timer/renesas,ostm.yaml    |  20 +-
 .../bindings/timer/rockchip,rk-timer.yaml          |   1 -
 MAINTAINERS                                        |   1 +
 drivers/clocksource/Kconfig                        |  12 +-
 drivers/clocksource/Makefile                       |   1 +
 drivers/clocksource/exynos_mct.c                   |  52 +++--
 drivers/clocksource/renesas-ostm.c                 |  39 +++-
 drivers/clocksource/timer-imx-sysctr.c             |   6 +-
 drivers/clocksource/timer-msc313e.c                | 253 +++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/clocksource/timer-pistachio.c              |   3 +-
 13 files changed, 411 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

but my powerpc and arm builds rebuilt basically everything.

This happens for a lot of merges - though some do not rebuild very much
at all.

Any ideas about what changed yesterday?  (I directed this to the kbuild
tree maintainer since the kbuild tree was updated yesterday - though
that may be a coincidence).

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell