Subject: Re: linux-next: much more building going on

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:22:06 +1100

Hi all,

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:13:19 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Since yesterday, my builds are taking much longer and it seems just
> about everything is being rebuilt when there should be very little done.
> 
> One example is after mergeing the clockevents tree, the diffstat looks
> like this:
> 
> $ git diff --stat HEAD^..
>  .../devicetree/bindings/timer/cdns,ttc.yaml        |   3 +
>  .../bindings/timer/mstar,msc313e-timer.yaml        |  46 ++++
>  .../devicetree/bindings/timer/nxp,tpm-timer.yaml   |   6 +-
>  .../devicetree/bindings/timer/renesas,ostm.yaml    |  20 +-
>  .../bindings/timer/rockchip,rk-timer.yaml          |   1 -
>  MAINTAINERS                                        |   1 +
>  drivers/clocksource/Kconfig                        |  12 +-
>  drivers/clocksource/Makefile                       |   1 +
>  drivers/clocksource/exynos_mct.c                   |  52 +++--
>  drivers/clocksource/renesas-ostm.c                 |  39 +++-
>  drivers/clocksource/timer-imx-sysctr.c             |   6 +-
>  drivers/clocksource/timer-msc313e.c                | 253 +++++++++++++++++++++
>  drivers/clocksource/timer-pistachio.c              |   3 +-
>  13 files changed, 411 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)
> 
> but my powerpc and arm builds rebuilt basically everything.
> 
> This happens for a lot of merges - though some do not rebuild very much
> at all.
> 
> Any ideas about what changed yesterday?  (I directed this to the kbuild
> tree maintainer since the kbuild tree was updated yesterday - though
> that may be a coincidence).

OK, it *may* have something to do with Kconfig file updates for example with this diffstat:

 .../memory-controllers/synopsys,ddrc-ecc.yaml      |  1 +
 drivers/edac/Kconfig                               |  2 +-
 drivers/edac/amd64_edac.c                          | 36 ++++++++++++++-
 drivers/edac/amd64_edac.h                          |  8 +++-
 drivers/edac/edac_mc.c                             |  2 +
 drivers/edac/sb_edac.c                             |  2 +-
 drivers/edac/sifive_edac.c                         |  2 +-
 drivers/edac/synopsys_edac.c                       | 52 ++++++++++++++++++----
 drivers/ras/cec.c                                  |  2 +-
 include/linux/edac.h                               |  6 +++
 10 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

And only this Kconfig change:

$ git diff HEAD^.. drivers/edac/Kconfig
diff --git a/drivers/edac/Kconfig b/drivers/edac/Kconfig
index 2fc4c3f91fd5..58ab63642e72 100644
--- a/drivers/edac/Kconfig
+++ b/drivers/edac/Kconfig
@@ -484,7 +484,7 @@ config EDAC_ARMADA_XP
 
 config EDAC_SYNOPSYS
        tristate "Synopsys DDR Memory Controller"
-       depends on ARCH_ZYNQ || ARCH_ZYNQMP
+       depends on ARCH_ZYNQ || ARCH_ZYNQMP || ARCH_INTEL_SOCFPGA
        help
          Support for error detection and correction on the Synopsys DDR
          memory controller.

I noticed that the following files have changed (timestamp at least) in
the object directory:

-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users    46271 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/auto.conf.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/DEFAULT_TCP_CONG
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/DEFAULT_INIT
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/BUILD_SALT
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/RTC_SYSTOHC_DEVICE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/EXTRA_TARGETS
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/EXTRA_FIRMWARE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/DEFAULT_HOSTNAME
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/CC_VERSION_TEXT
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/MODPROBE_PATH
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/LOCALVERSION
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/INITRAMFS_SOURCE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/CMDLINE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/NLS_DEFAULT
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/MAGIC_SYSRQ_SERIAL_SEQUENCE
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users        0 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/LSM
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users    54294 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/generated/autoconf.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfr users    39198 Jan  7 17:09 ./include/config/auto.conf

then lots more is rebuilt.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell