Subject: Re: change to Next/SHA1s ?

From: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:05:54 -0800

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 09:46:44AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Kees,
> 
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 10:43:37 -0800 Kees Cook <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > I was curious if it might be possible to emit the commit date along with
> > the tree/SHA1 map in Next/SHA1s? That would let people trivially scan
> > the file for relative age of trees, etc.
> 
> Of course it is possible :-)  Just wondering what the use case is?  It
> does make it a bit harder to read (wider lines).

My use case is that I find myself with some frequency looking at "git
show next-YYYYMMDD" to see the trees to see what date a given tree is on
(some update frequently, some don't, etc).

> while read tree sha; do
> 	if [ "$tree" = 'Name' ] || [ "$tree" = '----' ]; then
> 		printf '%s\t%s\n' "$tree" "$sha"
> 	else
> 		git log -1 --date=iso-strict-local --pretty="$tree	$sha %cd" "$sha"
> 	fi
> done <Next/SHA1s

Right, I can do it manually, but I was wondering if such a change would
be useful to others, or troublesome, etc. :) I can live without it, for
sure; I just thought I'd ask. :)

-- 
Kees Cook