Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the wireless-next tree with Linus' tree

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:23:24 -0700

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 03:23:40 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Today's linux-next merge of the wireless-next tree got a conflict in:
> 
>   net/mac80211/util.c
> 
> between commit:
> 
>   ff05d4b45dd8 ("wifi: mac80211: fix MBSSID parsing use-after-free")
> 
> from the origin tree and commit:
> 
>   ff05d4b45dd8 ("wifi: mac80211: fix MBSSID parsing use-after-free")

Dunno if this is a glitch or real problem. But it reminds me - I see
there is direct wireless -> wireless-next merge without going via
Linus's tree. I think you may have mentioned it to us, but not sure
if I said this clearly - let's try to avoid such merges. Linus certainly
doesn't like when we do net -> net-next merges without sending net to
him first and forwarding. I'm not 100% sure why (maybe Steven knows)
- whether it's an aesthetic thing or avoiding real issues thing, but
either way it's _a_ thing :S