Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the security tree with Linus' tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 08:55:50 +1100

Hi Paul,

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:47:18 -0500 Paul Moore <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I asked this on a previous conflict but never received an answer so
> I'll ask it one more time: is there a recommended way to notify
> linux-next of an upcoming conflict?  I generally notice the merge
> conflict within a few minutes of merging the patches into a -next
> branch, and fix it shortly afterwards.  I'm happy to provide a
> heads-up, and a merge example, but I'm not sure what the process is
> for that, if any.  Or, would you simply prefer to notice it yourself?
> I'm not bothered either way, I just thought you might appreciate the
> heads-up.

Sorry about that.  Some maintainers will just send a "heads up" email
with a suggested resolution patch (but I don't get very many).  That
can be very helpful for complicated (or non obvious) conflicts.  I
still generally look at how to fix them myself (and report them), but
it can save me considerable time in particularly obscure cases.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell