Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the tip tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 12:40:23 +1100

Hi all,

After merging the tip tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

In file included from include/linux/uaccess.h:11,
                 from include/linux/sched/task.h:11,
                 from include/linux/sched/signal.h:9,
                 from include/linux/rcuwait.h:6,
                 from include/linux/percpu-rwsem.h:7,
                 from include/linux/fs.h:33,
                 from include/linux/highmem.h:5,
                 from include/linux/bvec.h:10,
                 from include/linux/blk_types.h:10,
                 from include/linux/blkdev.h:9,
                 from drivers/scsi/scsi_ioctl.c:9:
drivers/scsi/scsi_ioctl.c: In function 'sg_scsi_ioctl':
arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:46:9: error: cast specifies array type
   46 |         (__force __typeof__(ptr))__ptrval;                              \
      |         ^
arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:107:38: note: in definition of macro '__typefits'
  107 |         __builtin_choose_expr(sizeof(x)<=sizeof(type),(unsigned type)0,not)
      |                                      ^
arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:130:18: note: in expansion of macro '__inttype'
  130 |         register __inttype(*(ptr)) __val_gu asm("%"_ASM_DX);            \
      |                  ^~~~~~~~~
arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:162:9: note: in expansion of macro 'do_get_user_call'
  162 |         do_get_user_call(get_user,x,untagged_ptr(current->mm, ptr));    \
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:162:37: note: in expansion of macro 'untagged_ptr'
  162 |         do_get_user_call(get_user,x,untagged_ptr(current->mm, ptr));    \
      |                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/scsi/scsi_ioctl.c:522:13: note: in expansion of macro 'get_user'
  522 |         if (get_user(opcode, sic->data))
      |             ^~~~~~~~

Caused by commit

  ce66a02538f3 ("x86/mm: Fix sparse warnings in untagged_ptr()")

(the scsi code above has not changed since at least February ...)

I have reverted that commit for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell