Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for May 15 (several RV64 build errors)

From: Conor Dooley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 13:50:19 +0100

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 04:11:05PM -0700, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2023 15:49:41 PDT (-0700), Conor Dooley wrote:
> > On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 03:41:15PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > > XIP_KERNEL already has "depends on !COMPILE_TEST", since April of 2021.
> > 
> > Half of me wants to say just remove XIP_KERNEL entirely. Or make it
> > depend on BROKEN, since noone seems to actually test it and I don't
> > think we even know if it works right now?
> 
> Ya, let's do it.  If it's broken and nobody has said anything but
> randconfig, then probably nobody's using it.  Let's mark it as broken or
> deprecated or whatever and then see if anyone complains.

Apart from being able to generate kernels that are broken (IOW this
randconfig), when we changed the dtb back to being in the fix, we
removed some special case XIP_KERNEL stuff (that's commit f1581626071c
("riscv: Do not set initial_boot_params to the linear address of the
dtb")) where Alex didn't know for sure whether it was safe to do.

Vexriscv (which is Myrtle I think) & Vitaly Wool both have an interest
in it. I dunno Myrtle's email, but I've CCed Vitaly. Maybe someone can
at least test the thing :)

Cheers,
Conor.