Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the cifs tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:35:40 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the cifs tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmodconfig) failed like this:

fs/smb/client/connect.c: In function 'cifs_get_smb_ses':
fs/smb/client/connect.c:2293:49: error: passing argument 1 of 'load_nls' discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror=discarded-qualifiers]
 2293 |         ses->local_nls = load_nls(ctx->local_nls->charset);
      |                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~
In file included from fs/smb/client/cifsproto.h:10,
                 from fs/smb/client/connect.c:37:
include/linux/nls.h:50:35: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'const char *'
   50 | extern struct nls_table *load_nls(char *);
      |                                   ^~~~~~

Caused by commit

  46055407cd4a ("cifs: fix charset issue in reconnection")

I have used the cifs tree from next-20230719 for today.

It looks as though the parameter to load_nls could be made const safely
as it is just passed to try_then_request_module() passes it to
__request_module() which just passes it to vsnprintf() to construct the
module name.  There does not appear to be any maintainer for fs/nls ...
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell