Subject: Re: linux-next-2023-0815: s390/block/dasd: build error

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:14:39 +1000

Hi Randy,

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:34:19 -0700 Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have spent some time on this but I don't see where the problem is.
> 
> ERROR: modpost: "bdev_mark_dead" [drivers/s390/block/dasd_mod.ko] undefined!
> 
> CONFIG_BLOCK=y, bdev.o is built and contains the missing symbol.
> 
> Full randconfig file is attached.
> 
> Hopefully I'm just overlooking something.

In your config, CONFIG_DASD=m which means "#ifdef CONFIG_DASD" will
fail since CONFIG_DASD_MODULE is defined instead ... so maybe it should
be "#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_DASD)" in block/bdev.c.  This also fails an
s390 allmodconfig build (obviously).

So this is caused by commit

  381f678306ce ("block: consolidate __invalidate_device and fsync_bdev")

from the vfs-brauner branch in linux-next.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell