Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Sep 7

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:26:25 +1000

Hi Akira,

On Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:00:39 +0900 Akira Yokosawa <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Stephen, I have noticed quite a few redundant documentation files
> reappeared in today's linux-next.  I didn't check linux-next earlier
> this week.
> 
> Redundant dirs:
> 
>     Documentation/loongarch/
>     Documentation/mips/
>     Documentation/s390/
>     Documentation/translations/zh_CN/loongarch/
>     Documentation/translations/zh_CN/mips/
> 
> Bisection blames merge commit be2bf9967daa ("Merge branch 'for-next'
> of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/riscv/linux.git").
> 
> I suspect the conflict in Documentation/bpf/linux-notes.rst caused
> those files once moved to arch/ in upstream to be picked up again
> during "git merge" ...

Actually, it looks like the merge

  2bf3c0292f35 ("Merge patch series "RISC-V: Probe for misaligned access speed"")

in the risc-v tree was resolved very badly and dragged a lot of stuff
back in.

$ git diff --stat 2bf3c0292f35^..2bf3c0292f35
 Documentation/bpf/instruction-set.rst              |  478 +++++++++
 Documentation/bpf/linux-notes.rst                  |   83 ++
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/msm/ssbi.txt |   18 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/arm/tegra/nvidia,nvec.txt  |   21 +
 .../bindings/arm/tegra/nvidia,tegra20-ahb.txt      |   17 +
 .../bindings/arm/tegra/nvidia,tegra20-flowctrl.txt |   18 +
 .../bindings/clock/amlogic,gxbb-aoclkc.txt         |   64 ++
 .../bindings/clock/amlogic,gxbb-clkc.txt           |   53 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/clock/hix5hd2-clock.txt    |   30 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/clock/oxnas,stdclk.txt     |   28 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/clock/xlnx,zynqmp-clk.txt  |   63 ++
 .../devicetree/bindings/cpufreq/ti-cpufreq.txt     |  132 +++
 .../devicetree/bindings/gpio/brcm,kona-gpio.txt    |   52 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/gpio/gpio_oxnas.txt        |   47 +
 .../bindings/input/rmi4/rmi_2d_sensor.txt          |   56 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/input/rmi4/rmi_f01.txt     |   39 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/input/rmi4/rmi_i2c.txt     |   61 ++
 .../devicetree/bindings/input/rmi4/rmi_spi.txt     |   56 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/net/davicom-dm9000.txt     |   27 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/net/ftgmac100.txt          |   67 ++
 .../devicetree/bindings/net/oxnas-dwmac.txt        |   41 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/net/xilinx_gmii2rgmii.txt  |   35 +
 .../bindings/opp/ti-omap5-opp-supply.txt           |   63 ++
 .../bindings/pinctrl/brcm,bcm11351-pinctrl.txt     |  461 +++++++++
 .../devicetree/bindings/pinctrl/oxnas,pinctrl.txt  |   56 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/pinctrl/pinctrl-single.txt |  262 +++++
 .../bindings/pinctrl/ti,omap-pinctrl.txt           |   13 +
 .../bindings/power/xlnx,zynqmp-genpd.txt           |   34 +
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pps/pps-gpio.txt |   30 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/regulator/slg51000.txt     |   88 ++
 .../devicetree/bindings/serial/cavium-uart.txt     |   19 +
 .../bindings/serial/nvidia,tegra20-hsuart.txt      |   73 ++
 .../bindings/serial/nxp,lpc1850-uart.txt           |   28 +
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/gtm601.txt |   19 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/sound/max9892x.txt         |   44 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/sound/nau8821.txt          |   55 +
 .../bindings/sound/qcom,msm8916-wcd-analog.txt     |  101 ++
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/wm8904.txt |   33 +
 .../bindings/spi/nvidia,tegra114-spi.txt           |   61 ++
 .../bindings/spi/nvidia,tegra20-sflash.txt         |   37 +
 .../bindings/spi/nvidia,tegra20-slink.txt          |   37 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/spi/spi-bcm63xx.txt        |   33 +
 .../bindings/thermal/nvidia,tegra124-soctherm.txt  |  238 +++++
 .../devicetree/bindings/usb/samsung-hsotg.txt      |   38 +
 Documentation/hwmon/smm665.rst                     |  187 ++++
 Documentation/loongarch/booting.rst                |   42 +
 Documentation/loongarch/features.rst               |    3 +
 Documentation/loongarch/index.rst                  |   22 +
 Documentation/loongarch/introduction.rst           |  390 +++++++
 Documentation/loongarch/irq-chip-model.rst         |  160 +++
 Documentation/mips/booting.rst                     |   28 +
 Documentation/mips/features.rst                    |    3 +
 Documentation/mips/index.rst                       |   21 +
 Documentation/mips/ingenic-tcu.rst                 |   71 ++
 Documentation/mm/frontswap.rst                     |  264 +++++
 .../ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/devlink.rst             |  313 ++++++
 Documentation/riscv/hwprobe.rst                    |   11 +-
 Documentation/s390/3270.ChangeLog                  |   44 +
 Documentation/s390/3270.rst                        |  298 ++++++
 Documentation/s390/cds.rst                         |  530 ++++++++++
 Documentation/s390/common_io.rst                   |  140 +++
 Documentation/s390/config3270.sh                   |   76 ++
 Documentation/s390/driver-model.rst                |  328 ++++++
 Documentation/s390/features.rst                    |    3 +
 Documentation/s390/index.rst                       |   30 +
 Documentation/s390/monreader.rst                   |  212 ++++
 Documentation/s390/pci.rst                         |  133 +++
 Documentation/s390/qeth.rst                        |   64 ++
 Documentation/s390/s390dbf.rst                     |  478 +++++++++
 Documentation/s390/text_files.rst                  |   11 +
 Documentation/s390/vfio-ap-locking.rst             |  115 +++
 Documentation/s390/vfio-ap.rst                     | 1069 ++++++++++++++++++++
 Documentation/s390/vfio-ccw.rst                    |  445 ++++++++
 Documentation/s390/zfcpdump.rst                    |   50 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/loongarch/booting.rst       |   48 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/loongarch/features.rst      |    8 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/loongarch/index.rst         |   27 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/loongarch/introduction.rst  |  353 +++++++
 .../zh_CN/loongarch/irq-chip-model.rst             |  157 +++
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/mips/booting.rst  |   34 +
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/mips/features.rst |   13 +
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/mips/index.rst    |   29 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/mips/ingenic-tcu.rst        |   72 ++
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/mm/frontswap.rst  |  196 ++++
 arch/arm/mach-keystone/keystone.h                  |   16 +
 arch/arm/mach-keystone/memory.h                    |   18 +
 arch/arm/mach-keystone/pm_domain.c                 |   50 +
 arch/arm/mach-nspire/mmio.h                        |   16 +
 arch/arm/mach-ux500/pm_domains.c                   |   79 ++
 arch/arm/mach-ux500/pm_domains.h                   |   17 +
 arch/arm/vfp/entry.S                               |   31 +
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/vexpress-v2m-rs1.dtsi      |    1 +
 arch/hexagon/mm/ioremap.c                          |   44 +
 arch/parisc/include/asm/machdep.h                  |   17 +
 arch/parisc/kernel/pa7300lc.c                      |   51 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/mpc8260.h                 |   22 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace_64_pg.S           |   67 ++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace_low.S             |   78 ++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace_mprofile.S        |  251 +++++
 arch/powerpc/lib/alloc.c                           |   23 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx/m82xx_pci.h            |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/usb.c                  |  251 +++++
 arch/riscv/errata/thead/errata.c                   |    8 -
 arch/riscv/include/asm/alternative.h               |    5 -
 arch/riscv/include/asm/cpufeature.h                |    2 +
 arch/riscv/kernel/Makefile                         |    1 +
 arch/riscv/kernel/alternative.c                    |   19 -
 arch/riscv/kernel/copy-unaligned.S                 |   71 ++
 arch/riscv/kernel/copy-unaligned.h                 |   13 +
 arch/riscv/kernel/cpufeature.c                     |  104 ++
 arch/riscv/kernel/smpboot.c                        |    3 +-
 arch/x86/include/asm/microcode_amd.h               |   58 ++
 arch/x86/include/asm/microcode_intel.h             |   88 ++
 drivers/accel/ivpu/ivpu_hw_mtl.c                   | 1053 +++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/accel/ivpu/ivpu_hw_mtl_reg.h               |  281 +++++
 drivers/acpi/acpi_amba.c                           |  130 +++
 drivers/clk/clk-oxnas.c                            |  251 +++++
 drivers/clk/meson/axg-aoclk.h                      |   18 +
 drivers/clk/meson/g12a-aoclk.h                     |   32 +
 drivers/clk/meson/gxbb-aoclk.h                     |   15 +
 drivers/clk/mmp/clk-mmp2.c                         |  454 +++++++++
 drivers/clk/mmp/clk-pxa168.c                       |  354 +++++++
 drivers/clk/mmp/clk-pxa910.c                       |  325 ++++++
 drivers/clk/qcom/lcc-mdm9615.c                     |  572 +++++++++++
 drivers/firmware/imx/scu-pd.c                      |  428 ++++++++
 .../gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/aqua_vanjaram_reg_init.c    |  658 ++++++++++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_iommu.c             |  356 +++++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_iommu.h             |   84 ++
 .../drm/amd/display/dmub/inc/dmub_subvp_state.h    |  183 ++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/subdev/fb/ramga102.c  |   40 +
 130 files changed, 16400 insertions(+), 39 deletions(-)

When I redid that merge:

$ git diff HEAD^..HEAD
 Documentation/riscv/hwprobe.rst      |  11 ++--
 arch/riscv/errata/thead/errata.c     |   8 ---
 arch/riscv/include/asm/alternative.h |   5 --
 arch/riscv/include/asm/cpufeature.h  |   2 +
 arch/riscv/kernel/Makefile           |   1 +
 arch/riscv/kernel/alternative.c      |  19 -------
 arch/riscv/kernel/copy-unaligned.S   |  71 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/riscv/kernel/copy-unaligned.h   |  13 +++++
 arch/riscv/kernel/cpufeature.c       | 104 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/riscv/kernel/smpboot.c          |   3 +-
 10 files changed, 198 insertions(+), 39 deletions(-)

So, the risc-v tree needs to be cleaned up.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell